I have successfully completed my week without makeup. Just in time for a meeting with my boss today, might I add.
Overall it wasn’t terrible. No one asked if I was tired, or if I had been hit by a car, and I actually received compliments unrelated to my looks. As nice as it was, I enjoyed “putting my face on” this morning, as my Nana would say.
It is almost Valentine’s Day. Did you know that St. Valentine is actually the patron saint of the following: bee keepers, the plague, epilepsy, and fainting? Which I guess could be applicable. If you are planning on dating a bee keeper who makes you swoon, until you go on the date and realize you feel like you are caught in the newest round of an epilepsy plague. Worse case scenario.
If you are like most cynics (who swear they hate V-day, but will sit at home wallowing if they don’t have an actual date), or like the sugary-sweet who just L-O-V-E this Hallmark holiday, then I implore you to change your thinking. Don’t envision it as a burden to seek or be sought, but use it as an opportunity to show the people you love that you really appreciate them. Most people say,
“Yea, yea, but I don’t need a specific day to tell people I love them. I can tell them any other day.”
True. But do you? It doesn’t matter that you can do it any other day, don’t let that be an excuse. Just do it anyway. Why not make someone’s day by writing them a short little note, giving them some candy or a flower, or just telling them how much you appreciate and love them? It’s not difficult, people!
OK, my moral rant is over. Now let’s get down to business about what the H you can actually do for those you love.
- If you don’t have a creative bone in your body, check out Pinterest for crafty DIY stuff that you can follow steps for. Or create a cute card using supplies you can find at Michaels.
- Make some chocolate covered strawberries for your loverrrr. Or red velvet cupcakes. Or their favorite kind of dessert. Last year I made my own chocolate covered strawberries, and it was so easy!!!!
1. Buy strawberries. Dur.
2. Buy chocolate chips. Also dur.
3. Aquire wax paper.
4. Put some chips in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until they melt a bit, and then stick them back into the ‘wave and keep using 30 second increments followed by stirring, until all the chocolate is melted. Dip the strawberries in the chocolate, and then set them on the wax paper to cool. You can also melt down white chocolate chips in the same way. Add them to the chocolate as design or as white chocolate strawberries. I also bought vanilla icing and used food coloring to turn it pink. Then i spooned some into a Ziploc, squeezed it all into one corner, cut a small slit in the corner, and used that as my pastry bag to decorate. For the cupcakes I just followed the box instructions. Here is a photo of the finished products:
- If there aren’t any solid man prospects to buy you something, or spend time with you, then do so yourself. Enjoy a manicure or pedicure, a massage, an entire box of chocolates, or some fun jewelery that doesn’t break the bank. I am newly obsessed with the Pave Double Bar Necklace from Stella & Dot. I might have to buy it for myself. My friend Araceli is an independent stylist for the company so make sure you check out that necklace, and the rest of the site, through her page. Maybe you’ll find something you like, or a nice gift for someone you know.
- If you do have a significant other, and you are able to be together, then have some fun. You don’t have to do traditional dinner and a movie, you can be creative. Make dinner together, see a show, or search for fun local things that you can do in your city or town. Steve and I went to a restaurant last year called Red Square, in Atlantic City. I am obsessed, so we are going back. But maybe instead of a movie we’ll go dancing, who knows? I’m just looking forward to time together. And so should you. Don’t put pressure on one another to come up with some extravagant plan. Do something you love, but if that’s doing nothing, then so be it! Just be thankful for the time that you have with each other.
All of this typing is making me hungry….and I’m feeling the irrational need for a new dress for my Valentine’s date. I might just have to go find the perfect outfit to wear.
Smile, pretty girl. See ya next week